14 December 2008

Slow Boat to Cambodia

We took a slow boat to Cambodia. 8 hours-ish, of riding along the Mekong River from the border town of Chau Doc, Vietnam to Phenom Penh, Cambodia. We got there, eventually. A lot of things happened in between dock below and setting foot in the capital.


This is the dock where our international boat was departing from.

Mekong River. Most of the Mekong looked like this for the 8 hours we were on the boat.

The vessel. We left the dock without anyone but the boat driver and the man who insisted he take our passports. We refused, because we didn't know why he wanted them and he was a stranger. More on that in a minute. A half an hour into the boat ride, we picked up some tourists who were taking an early morning boat ride along the river.

We arrived at the border town of Vietnam and Cambodia. Here, all of the passengers were ordered, by the sketchy no named man who previously wanted to take our passports, to sit and wait for one hour. Above is the Cambodian animal quarantine area. Some kids were playing outside with dogs.

Here is the man who wanted our passports. We are pulling up to the Cambodian border.

After waiting one hour at some overpriced fried spring roll "restaurant"with the rest of the passengers, we were instructed to walk overland to get our passports stamped for Cambodia.
Everyone passed through but us. Apparently the reason the man wanted our passports was because he was going to get an exit stamp for us. There was a big controversy, and frankly we are too tired to write about it right now. Ask us about it when we get back. We got across the border eventually.

There's Kara, happy to be on the new Cambodian boat without any futher issues.

And there is Igor, our Slovenian friend. Not Slovak, but close enough when you're traveling in Cambodia.

Max discovered the top of the boat. He played games with this kid. We applied lots of sunscreen and watched the sun move throughout the day over the Mekong.

Sleeping on top of boat, 20 minutes to the port at Phenom Penh.

5 comments:

rb said...

Nice to see another post. I went to see Ozomatli last night at the Fillmore. A great dance band with lots of energy. I ordered a book for Grandpa called "The Royal Romance of the Road". He wanted to reread it because it is about a young man who travels around the world. He said it was like your journey. I think of you on your trip and I am glad to be connected to you and Kara through your posts. I am excited to see your Ankor Watt pictures. Love Dad

Cara said...

I would have been apprehensive to give a passport to a sketchy stranger at the Vietnam/Cambodia border too. I hope Kara's birthday was not spent on a boat for 8 hours staring at the sun move across Asia's answer to Big Muddy. I plan to see Slumdog Millionaires soon, b/c I feel like that's a movie both of you would love and heartily recommend. As Mr. B said, I am also excited to see pics of Angkor Wat. Also, found the best Chinese food I've ever had at this place in Queens. We must go, much vegetarian fare there.

Anonymous said...

You both are such great travelers! Crazy people must ask for shit from you all the time! Way to be careful! I got your postcard today. You are so cute!

I love the shot of the lawn chairs on the boat! So great! I miss you both and look forward to your posts! Wish you were both in LA for Xmas again this year! Or that I could be there with you!
love love love- Gina

Scott said...

I wanna hear you sing to me.

lteusink said...

Hi Kara, Hi Max, Thanks for the postcard, I have it hanging in my cube at work, right in front of my face. I had a busy month snowboarding around the east, but I am back and hooked in to your blog. I can't believe you guys are still skipping around paradise. This thought makes me happy!! Talk to you soon. xo Laura Teusink